The Q Tree Forum

Wolf Is Playing Wit...

Notifications
Clear all

Wolf Is Playing With The Bell! OH NOES!!!

79 Posts
5 Users
132 Likes
Admin
Topic starter
(@wolfmoon1776)

I am experimenting with ways to shut off emails from the site.  Shutting off notifications completely seems to work, but it also shuts off the forum notification bell.  This may or may not last.  How does it feel if we don't have the bell on forum posts?

78 Replies
(@aubergine)

If there's no bell, how do we know if anyone has responded to us?

17 Replies
(@wolfmoon1776)

@aubergine - exactly.  You have to go to alternate methods.  And I'm not so sure about those.

One is subscribing to the threads where you post and then watching emails.  Another is looking at threads in the listing and seeing if people have been responding, then go to the threads.

I wish I could turn off emails and keep the bell, but yeah - doesn't seem to work that way.

Do you get emails from this site, or have you shut down notifications by email?

(@wolfmoon1776)

@aubergine - for example, I saw that you had responded to the thread, so I checked - but no bell now, so that wasn't how I knew to look.

I think it's kinda sketchy, but I have no idea why steve is unable to shut down emails from here.  I get NONE.

(@elize)

Trusted Member

@wolfmoon1776 yes I definitely prefer the bell.  I turned off emails tho.

(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - how did you turn off emails?  Any description would be welcome!

(@elize)

Trusted Member

@wolfmoon1776 I turned it off in settings, notifications but it appears they are going to my junk mailbox.

Since I hadn't seen anything while we were tied up on the farm, I thought it had worked.

Sorry, my bad.  😕 

(@elize)

Trusted Member

@wolfmoon1776  If you don't mind try replying we're playing with settings atm. ty

(@elize)

Trusted Member
(@elize)

Trusted Member

And I am subscribed to this thread.

(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - Here you go - here is a reply!

(@elize)

Trusted Member

@wolfmoon1776  Thank you.  It didn't show me posting or replying but with that blocking emails I still got one when you replied.  hmmm

(@elize)

Trusted Member

@wolfmoon1776 under notification settings>reader subscriptions>block emails box (at bottom of screen).

(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - OK - I just saw that.  Do you have that checked?

(@elize)

Trusted Member

@wolfmoon1776  yes I have it checked.

Husband and I are both researching atm trying to help.

(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - I just turned on the bell again.  We're going to try to find a way to block emails.  If I can get 5 persons to successfully block all emails from this site, then we know that something is specifically wrong with Steve's case alone.

I'm an admin on this site.  My ability to shut off emails to my normal WP account is potentially separate.  But we need 5 people (authors and subscribers) to get all emails shut off successfully.

(@elize)

Trusted Member

@wolfmoon1776  One thing dh noticed.  By checking that box it only says I was mentioned in a thread instead of showing more thread info.  So he seems to think to think we're getting closer to a solution.

(@elize)

Trusted Member

@wolfmoon1776 Just providing you more info.  We've both managed forums before, but never on wp.

Not sure how much research or how in depth you've gone with wp admin tools 

How to Manage WordPress Comment Notification Emails (wpbeginner.com)

(@singingsoul1)

(@elize)
Trusted Member

I'm guessing you've done all this research but maybe we can find something we're missing.

How to Disable/Stop Jetpack notifications and subscriptions emails (wpchase.com)

59 Replies
(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - Thanks - this was very useful.  It led me to some deep understanding of how WP is working.  HOWEVER - the main point now - it didn't have any way for me to shut off emails.

What I'd like to do is get YOUR forum emails from this site shut down if possible.

(@elize)

Trusted Member

@wolfmoon1776  We read the article comments and someone was saying users were complaining about the email notifs.  We both tend to think it's tied in with the wp plugins.  Good grief sounds like wp is a plugin whore.  Sorry for the factual pun!  😋

(@elize)

Trusted Member

@wolfmoon1776  It's such an annoying feature for so many users that it has to have been addressed somewhere.  We just need to find/figure it out.  😊

(@elize)

Trusted Member
(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - yeah, these are all plugins that I likely don't want to use, but they are helping me figure out what I do want.

I am not getting ANYTHING from the forum.  So what I really need now is for people to just turn off emails from this site to whatever level they want (probably best to go to the reader settings and turn off exactly what they want) and then see if people are getting anything that they turned off.

(@elize)

Trusted Member

@wolfmoon1776  Based on the articles we're reading, yes a disable plugin is probably going to have to be used.

Have you considered and other forums besides wp?

(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - I could, but I don't want to waste time if the concept doesn't start to fly with what we have.  wpForo is pretty usable and would not take much of an investment to test.  If we got big growth, I might consider a switch to some other forum platforms, but for now, it's the simplest path forward.  No dangerous hard transitions.

(@elize)

Trusted Member

@wolfmoon1776  If you want to play around with settings and plugins, just holler and ill help and screen shot things.  We have no more veggies to plant for 2 weeks so nothing going on.

(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - good - well, I want to try settings first, because plugins are always a security danger, and the tendency to patchwork them to correct for each other's shortcomings is inherently a bad security practice.

(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - replying AGAIN to see if you get email! 😜

(@elize)

Trusted Member
(@elize)

Trusted Member
(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - can you upload the text of the email?  I'm curious what it said.

(@elize)

Trusted Member
(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - thank you - I know exactly where that came through the software now - as a subscribed reply - which is controlled by settings in one and possibly two places, depending upon whether JetPack can interfere with wpForo's setting on that.

Let's see if you get an email on this one, which is after you unsubscribed.

(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - also, you need to UNSUBSCRIBE to the thread.

(@elize)

Trusted Member
(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - test reply!!!

(@elize)

Trusted Member
(@elize)

Trusted Member
(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - so you're not ACTUALLY unsubscribed.

I find that highly disturbing.

Are you absolutely sure you're no longer subscribed?  I would suggest closing any tabs in which you are still subscribed.

(@elize)

Trusted Member

@wolfmoon1776

I haven't closed windows yet, but I didnt receive an email from this last response from you.

I unsubscribed from new topics and posts under forum account settings.

Going to close browser now and reopen.

(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - looks like we may have killed off the emails, but I want to be very sure.  I have not heard back from Steve despite several replies to his posts over here.  I think we may have fixed him, too.

(@elize)

Trusted Member

@wolfmoon1776 hmmmm is Steve canine also?  "Fixing" can be bad for canines!  🤣

(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - I won't speculate about the bearded dragon nor its owner!   User privacy!!! 🤣

(@elize)

Trusted Member
(@elize)

Trusted Member
(@elize)

Trusted Member

@wolfmoon1776 Great job pack leader.  You have destroyed the nemesis!

(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - Thank you!!! 

But I do want to make sure I understand YOUR settings to turn off emails.  Do you still have that checkbox checked that you told me about earlier?  The one that nails ALL worldpress emails, that was under your avatar (notifications, notification settings, etc., ending in:

Block emails

Is that the one?

(@elize)

Trusted Member

@wolfmoon1776 yes reader sub email box is checked.

Yes to 2nd?

(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - good.  I can use that for a "quick stop" to emails, it looks like.

(@elize)

Trusted Member

@wolfmoon1776 dh gets most of credit here from our side, he's a forum whore.

(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - say thanks to him for me!  I just got word from Steve - he's no longer getting emails either.  I think it's done.  That means I can get on to getting the forum up very soon.

(@elize)

Trusted Member
(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - we needed some good news!

(@elize)

Trusted Member

@wolfmoon1776  just holler if you need a tester again.  We have no kids so plenty of time.

(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize The new "production" forum is up, so lots of opportunities to play around!

(@elize)

Trusted Member
(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - one more reply - let's see if the emails have stopped.

(@elize)

Trusted Member
(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - excellent.  The next step is Steve.  If he's cured, we're done with his showstopper.  Cthulhu is going to have to come up with his own solution (basically some kind of phony registration).

(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - the notifications at the bell are going like gangbusters!

(@elize)

Trusted Member
(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - I've got hilarious responses, but none that would look good in court.  LOL.  I'm gonna sit this round out.  Any emails! 😆

(@elize)

Trusted Member
(@elize)

Trusted Member

@wolfmoon1776  I'm teasing, if Val teases us for being bad, we'll blame it on the late hour.

Sorry Val, we're delirious.  😱  

(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - yeah, I do need to take a break, and I think steve is crashed, but THANK YOU for helping debug that.  It was very helpful.  There will be more, trust me, very soon.  I will likely begin configuring the actual forum very soon.

(@elize)

Trusted Member

@wolfmoon1776  kk we're heading off to bed then, tc sleep well.

(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - Thanks and good night!!! 😎

(@elize)

Trusted Member

@wolfmoon1776 ps lol you have my email as admin im guessing so just email, lol, if you need tester time.  🙂

(@elize)

Trusted Member

@wolfmoon1776 going to post this here so you see it.  Will respond to a Val post also.

Dingle berry me broke my foot today while we were doing yard work.  First broken bone ever.  🙄  Apparently I'll be laid up for awhile plus drs appts re if surgery is needed.

I'll gladly accept prayers for proper healing and skilled drs that make wise decisions.

❤️ and hugs to all!

(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - very sorry to hear about your foot!  But also glad to hear that things were under control.  Please let us know how you're doing!

(@valeriecurren)

@elize @wolfmoon1776 

I'm thoroughly enjoying watching this show unfold now on Sunday afternoon.  You both are AMAZING!!!  Thank you for what you both are doing to make this Den as Pack-friendly as possible.

Did I mention that my husband's fraternity created a little ditty about "dog balls"?  He still hasn't sung it for our kids & I've asked him to on a number of occasions.  😆 🙃 😲 

(@elize)

Trusted Member

@valeriecurren ❤️ 😇 ❤️

(@elize)

Trusted Member

@valeriecurren going to post this here so you see it.  Will respond to a Wolf post also.

Dingle berry me broke my foot today while we were doing yard work.  First broken bone ever.  🙄  Apparently I'll be laid up for awhile plus drs appts re if surgery is needed.

I'll gladly accept prayers for proper healing and skilled drs that make wise decisions.

❤️ and hugs to all!

(@valeriecurren)

@elize

Oh my Elize, I'm so sorry to hear about your foot--I've never broken a bone either, though All my Curren men have, 2/4 needing surgery  😪 

May the Lord be with you in His grace, peace, comfort, strength, rest, joy, & healing power as you undertake this new "adventure".  There will be new opportunities through this detour that wouldn't have been evident if life followed its usual course, so perk up those eyes, ears, & heart to see what special encounters the Lord might bring to bless you & others you encounter in this land of waiting & recouping.

God Bless & Keep YOU & your precious hubby.

By the way, who's "Dingle berry"?  Hilarious moniker w/ a story to go along presumably! 🙃 

(@elize)

Trusted Member

@valeriecurren Thank you so very much for the prayers!  The ortho dr in out little town is over booked.  Dh went to the office to talk to them.  I can't take my normal epilepsy meds and the pain meds so had to go off my epilepsy meds til the pain subsides.  Which is dangerous for me.

The prayers worked.  The dr went ahead and viewed the x-rays the er sent him and he told dh that I shouldn't need surgery and they squeezed me in for an appt Friday morning.

He said keep her OFF of that foot tho!!!!!

Thank you and thank you Jesus!  ❤️ and hugs!

(@valeriecurren)

@elize

Truly wonderful news--Praise the Lord!!! 😇 

(@elize)

Trusted Member
Share: