Clear all

Wolf Added A Test Topic

180 Posts
24 Users
441 Likes
Admin
Topic starter
(@wolfmoon1776)

Well, what the heck.  Let's see if this works.

EMOJI!!!  😍 

179 Replies
(@barkerjim)

It seems to work.

2 Replies
(@wolfmoon1776)

@barkerjim  GOOD!  And you're IN - that's a big relief.

(@kalbokalbs)

@barkerjim

So far, easy peasy.  likes checked out.  We'll see if reply checks out.  edit checks out.

Jim, thanks for providing the post to hitch hike on.

(@Anonymous)

Looks like I am in 👍

10 Replies
(@wolfmoon1776)

@brave-and-free  Excellent!   Things are WORKING and Wolf is HAPPY!!! 🤗

(@elize)

Trusted Member

@wolfmoon1776 Happy Wolf is a great thing!  Beware of grumpy wolves.  😋 

You did a great job, I'm super excited.  I'm bias towards forums though, shhh don't tell!  😇 

(@elize)

Trusted Member

@wolfmoon1776  This is just a side note.  Wordpress on the blog has been sooooo fickle with me .  I couldn't like much, logging in would act up and it stopped showing me if I had responses to my posts.

One of the major reasons I finally stopped responding often.

(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - OK - well - then I'm going to give you some possible bad news.  That nastiness is likely China and/or our shitty evil Demmunist government working together to degrade your experience.  You are likely seeing a fast response NOW because I suddenly created this forum without telegraphing my moves.  You are seeing "normal" net experience now.  They will likely counter by degrading people off the forum with new tricks.  I can't do much about that.  Their technology is difficult for a lone admin to counter, and I can really only do that by working almost alone as the admin, to prevent social attacks.

But for now, enjoy the short victory!

(@elize)

Trusted Member

I will definitely enjoy it as long as it lasts!  Our home network is larger than most small businesses and I'm not reducing our security levels just to socialize.  But it is nice to get to chat with everyone again!  😊

(@valeriecurren)

@wolfmoon1776

So I don't know what I'm talking about here, but it would be great if you had or could create some type of secret Tech Geniuses only private group "chat" to get trouble-shooting info from those in the know.  Kind of having solutions bubble up from reliable sources...So security & functionality could be maximized.  Obviously any tweaking would be kept out of public spaces...just a non-techie thought 🙂 

(@wolfmoon1776)

@valeriecurren - lots of possibilities there.  We'll add the bells and whistles soon.  First thing is selecting a forum style.  I think Elize likes this one.  I think I'm partial to it, just because we're used to threading now.

(@valeriecurren)

@wolfmoon1776

the threading does make keeping track of the conversation a bit easier for me.  & collapsing stuff when I've read them all is a nice touch too!

(@wolfmoon1776)

@valeriecurren - threaded is definitely a CONTENDER for me.

(@valeriecurren)

@wolfmoon1776

Since you've got the different styles running all at the same time now can you not choose more than one style going forward?  Not that we would be trying to split apart the conversations but if there are people who Love the Simple format & others who Love the Threaded format could there be general "open thread" style "rooms" for people to play in more comfortably?

Sorry if that is making the process more complicated, it's kind of how I think too 😏 

(@valeriecurren)

OK, I'm an idiot (not a news flash) for I spent a couple minutes hovering over every icon on Wolf's comment to figure out how to reply before scrolling down the page for the reply box...blush emoji.

I like that you can see who liked a comment w/out hovering 🙂 

Oh it appears that there is a max file size...is that variable or is the 2 MB desired?

4 Replies
(@wolfmoon1776)

@valeriecurren - 2 MB is sometimes not enough, but I hesitate to increase it, because >2 MB images use up storage too quickly, IMO.

If people need bigger uploads, they can ask me.  That would probably be for very valuable infographics and PDFs.  I may up the file size for me and the mods, if need be.  But I don't want a lot of full sized photos being posted.  2 MB is still HONKIN' BIG for most images.

(@valeriecurren)

@wolfmoon1776  Great info, thanks.  I was just pointing out a feature not suggesting a change one way or another (But I like your reasoning!!!)

Also, even though you replied to me it's not showing in the notifier.  Is that how it's supposed to be?  If no notifications we just need to jump on whatever threads are of interest when the mood strikes I guess.

OK, I see a "subscribe to this topic" box which I'll check to see if that puts replies in the notifier or via email like some genealogy forums do...Blessings!

(@wolfmoon1776)

@valeriecurren - there is a different notification system for the forum.  Up at the top of the FORUM there is its own orange bell.  Similar thing to the JetPack bell for the blog.

(@valeriecurren)

@wolfmoon1776

Thanks!  I've never noticed that before

(@valeriecurren)

Would this forum be a good place to save "links" to key q-tree info?  Like sometimes there is great material in comments but it's hard to find via searches.  Do these forum topics get threaded?

Like for example

I.  Donald Trump

A.  Rallies

B. Family

1. Melania

2. Baron

C. Endorsements

D. Public Announcements

E. Reliable Supporters

1. Mike Lindell

2. Sidney Powell

3. Rudi Guiliani

4. Mike Pompeo

5. Lin Wood

Anyway just a thought for it could be great to have access to some Key Info of interest in an easy to find format, imo

Oh I just completed an edit, hopefully w/out issue

5 Replies
(@wolfmoon1776)

@valeriecurren - yes - the idea of the forum was that we could also use it as a storage area or a bit of a wiki.

That stuff GENERALLY doesn't get used, but it's nice if people need to dig back and find stuff without using a search engine.

I will dig into the topic of forum and subforum creation soon.  Thus, I can create one or more "archival" subforums.

(@valeriecurren)

@wolfmoon1776  That sounds like a lot of work for you so maybe not much of such action should be taken until there is a request for that material, letting things grow organically, like you say.

One sub that Might be well received is one labeled Prayer Requests, where any such needs can be dropped for ease of access...

(@Anonymous)

@wolfmoon1776 I'm with Elize on the forum. I'm way more use to them. And also perhaps we can get Jason to put up a thread on his personal story so we can all see it and make sure we don't miss the rest of it. I have not been able to keep up much as life has gotten in the way.

Also this is a test to see if I can post on here 😉 

(@wolfmoon1776)

@wyomingknucklehead - glad you got a post in there without moderation.  Yes - the forum will be a lot of use to a lot of people.  I think it will encourage far more participation.

I am very close to going from this "test" to the real McCoy.  Hang on!!!

(@elize)

Trusted Member

That's one of the great features of a forum imho.  You can have the daily thread like we do on the blog but say you wanted to create a daily/weekly news forum then it's an easy place for people to check for news that we tend to be interested in.

Also, say we had a topic that people usually research and add links to as they find additional info it's a great way to go straight to that topic.

(@grandmaintexas)

Hi everyone! I'm really excited about having a Forum.

6 Replies
(@grandmaintexas)

I just noticed that it goes to a second page after four or so replies. Is that something that we could or would want to change? I haven't been on a forum in years. I do like this format, a lot!

(@wolfmoon1776)

@grandmaintexas Yes - I need to fix that!  Will do pronto.  I think I ran into this during testing.

(@wolfmoon1776)

@grandmaintexas Just upped it to 50 replies.  I did so initially to the WRONG layout style.  Turns out there are 4 layout styles.  I will create test subforums in each style so we can try them out!

(@wolfmoon1776)

@grandmaintexas Me, too.  I'm sorry I didn't do this earlier, but I think I was delaying due to taxes on the mind, as well as thinking I needed to get it all configured BEFORE getting input.  I decided to just push it over the cliff and clean up any messes later! 😆

(@elize)

Trusted Member

Thank God you took that leap of faith.  I ❤️ it.  Lol, I may end up yapping as much as I used to on cth!  😊

(@valeriecurren)

@wolfmoon1776  Learning by doing & flying by the seat of ones pants as well as howling at the moon & running w/ the pack are tried & true passions of Q-Treepers!

RDS
(@concernedvirginian)

Wolf Moon

Test.

Does the Forum eventually take the place of the U Tree?  Is the Forum the place to "meet up" if all Hades (DeepState) breaks out at the Q Tree?

7 Replies
(@linda)

Eminent Member

@concernedvirginian That probably won't work, so it is on the same server as the Q Tree and is on the same domain name. If we lose one, we lose both.

(@wolfmoon1776)

@linda Yes, U Tree will remain as the lifeboat it is.  But I expect that we can have a "free-for-all" forum or subforum here, where people can "get a room" for legal but uncivil or uncouth discussion.

BTW, you were very interested in a forum.  If I make you an "Author" on the site, you would become a "Moderator" here, like the other authors - I think that gives you some extra engineering privileges.  If my laziness is showing, well, so be it.  I think as the only admin, I would still have to click fundamental setting changes, but as a mod, you could deal with a lot of other things.

Let me know if you're interested, and I'll upgrade you!

(@linda)

Eminent Member

@wolfmoon1776 Let me give it some thought, Wolfie. I've got a lot on my plate right now. I know how much time moderators spend on busy forums. At this point, we don't know how busy this one will get. Also, don't forget that I live in one of those supposedly blue whack-a-doodle states. 🙄 I know you previously expressed concern about any authors coming from blue states.

(@wolfmoon1776)

@linda - Thanks!  Yes, that is indeed now a concern.  SDNY is pretty rogue, and FIB in Oregon is pretty much CCP.  California - I can't even travel there.  Just let me know if you decide you want to give it a try.

(@valeriecurren)

@linda & @wolfmoon1776

I'm also from a whack-a-doo Blue State so if you need to trim my access back I understand, & since I don't create that many posts around here it's not like it'd be a big loss to the Q-Tree...

(@wolfmoon1776)

@valeriecurren - shouldn't be a problem, but keep an eye on things.  If you find stuff happening as if done by your account that you don't remember doing yourself, it may be a problem.

(@valeriecurren)

@wolfmoon1776

I've never noticed such activity but I'll let you know about any anomalies, just in case...

(@churchmouse)

Congratulations, Wolf -- and many thanks for all of your hard work!

This forum is an excellent idea. 🙂

1 Reply
(@wolfmoon1776)

@churchmouse Great!  Glad it's seeming like a step forward!

(@thesetruths)

Test 🤔 

EDIT:  It worked.  Thanks, Wolf!

1 Reply
(@wolfmoon1776)

@thesetruths Excellent!  I'm learning already!!! 😊 😀 😎

(@depat)

Need to fish around with this.

1 Reply
(@wolfmoon1776)

@susiesoprano  Please feel free to push the envelope.  I can easily wipe away any issues at this point.  Experiment all you want.

(@noreaster)

TEST_1

(OK... I'm in !)

😉

1 Reply
(@wolfmoon1776)

@noreaster  - Excellent!  A GOOD SIGN.

Barb Meier
(@barbmeier)

Test me too... Hi TheseTruths and guest! 😀  I wonder why there is a capital P at the bottom of this text box. 

2 Replies
(@wolfmoon1776)

@barbmeier Yeah, I've wondered that myself.  STRANGE.

(@elize)

Trusted Member
Barb Meier
(@barbmeier)

Oh the P displays when I click to start typing here but it doesn't display in my message. This place is very nice Wolf, thank you!!

2 Replies
(@wolfmoon1776)

@barbmeier - You're welcome!  I thought this was good software - and it's certainly the easiest forum for me to manage.  LAZINESS finds the good stuff AGAIN!!!  😆

(@elize)

Trusted Member

Nope not laziness.  As we IT nerds say K.I.S.S. works best!

Barb Meier
(@barbmeier)

The Collapse Replies option is sweet. So far, everything is fast too. I've attached a picture of my Meg Westie. She turned 17-years-old yesterday 18 APR 2021 and she's still fairly spry. 

5 Replies
(@wolfmoon1776)

@barbmeier - Very cute!

Now watch this (hold my vermouth)!

By copying the link from your attachment, I can use the URL in the message (edits can do this to the original post, too!

(@Anonymous)

(@wolfmoon1776)

@yucki - Excellent!  Working!!!

(@Anonymous)

@barbmeier Oh how cute, I love me some old dogs.

Barb Meier
(@barbmeier)

@wyomingknucklehead Thank you! She's had a little snack and is watching me from her dog bed. It's our nap time. hehe

(@kalbokalbs)

Looking forward to the forum "shaking out" and taking shape.

Thanks Wolf.

1 Reply
(@wolfmoon1776)

@kalbokalbs - Good to see you.  It forced me to moderate you for some reason, but you should be out now!

(@Anonymous)

A forum - different topics on different threads?

Will that mean staying "on topic"?

I really like the free-form Open Thread.

I wouldn't necessarily choose all the items posted, but I get exposed to all kinds of things that I subsequently do choose.

6 Replies
(@wolfmoon1776)

@yucki - I have no intention of getting rid of the open thread / blog part - ALTHOUGH the forum plugin offers that option - to turn the entire site into the forum.

We could do the open thread as PART of the forum, but I really don't like that, because I think ARTICLES and the traditional open thread have a LOT of value just as they are.

(@steveinco)

@wolfmoon1776

One thing you could do is have a subforum for the open threads!  (If you have a certain granularity of control, allow only authors/mods to start a topic there.)

The threading seems to work better here (none of that jackwagon initially-upside-down weirdness).

Most forums let you search for unread comments--you get a list of topics that there are unread replies in, clicking on the topic takes you to the first thing you haven't read.  It's very easy to be sure you've read everything with that, but I don't think it would play well with threading!

Is it possible, particularly on specialized topics (rather than the open thread) to allow the creator of the topic to specify which style?

Even the flat style could probably work on the dailies, provided our culture changed and we got into the habit of quoting what we were replying to--some forum software will do that automatically, in fact.

(@wolfmoon1776)

@steveinco - there is an option to convert the whole blog to a forum - in which case the existing blog posts may or may not be converted to forum topics.  I have not been able to find the doc on that which I'm certain I read.

The safest way would be to just move the open thread discussions to their own subforum.  HOWEVER

(1) I probably can't prevent open "topics" being created by non-authors, but

(2) unauthorized topics are easily deleted or maybe moved

(3) I can make font changes to the bigger fonts, too

(4) Sadly, the open threads would all have to be one layout style IF they remain in the same forum - there is no way for authors to choose a layout style different from the whole forum (I described this property of forums back in the latest forum post on the blog - it's rather restrictive).  Two subforums in the same forum must have the same style.

NOW - there is nothing that says we can't experiment with artful blending of the two.

For example, you can close your article to comments and put a link at the bottom to an open topic back here.  I could create FOUR open topic fora - one in each style.  Open topic discussion under that forum's style would then be IN THAT STYLE.  So authors could choose the style of their liking, and simply link back to a discussion section they created.  HOWEVER, notice that they would not get notifications in the usual way, with JetPack.

One advantage of moving discussion back here IS potentially getting rid of JetPack.

Another is that if the Democrats become even more Soviet, we can close the forum to visibility by anybody but speaking members, and I can kick out all the lurkers who do not surface immediately for inspection and recognition.  It's easier to close down and batten the hatches with the forum.

There are a LOT of possibilities here, and I'm flexible.  I'm somewhat partial to having the threads on top and the discussions back here.

(@wolfmoon1776)

@steveinco - TEST 1 - I just turned off ALL notification in the forum.

Will you be notified about this?

(@wolfmoon1776)

@steveinco - this is TEST 2 - after I turned off all the notifications.  You should get NOTHING for this one.

(@wolfmoon1776)

@steveinco - It's now 1:53 Eastern.  I've turned OFF user mention notifications, but I've turned back ON notifications, which includes replies and likes under the bell notifier.

Let's see if you get email for this one.  TEST 3.

(@elize)
Trusted Member

That was super easy and likes work!!

I ran a forum a decade ago.  I am a huge fan of this format over blogs.

❤️ and hugs to Wolf and team for creating it!

2 Replies
(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - I kinda like this format, "threaded", too.  And yes - likes work!!!

(@elize)

Trusted Member

You did an amazing job!  I'm having a blast, can you tell?  😇 😇   /looks around innocently

(@aubergine)

Do we get the bell notifications if someone replies or likes on the forum? I don't know anything about this format at all.

11 Replies
(@elize)

Trusted Member

Did that give you a bell notification?

(@aubergine)

@elize Not my usual bell that is over on the top right all the time. But the bell on the forum side notified me.

(@wolfmoon1776)

@aubergine - I turned the bell back on, but I found and turned off the "you've been mentioned" messages.

(@elize)

Trusted Member

Yes the notifications bell at the top of the forum shows likes and responses.  Thank you Linda for liking and responding to me.  That confirms that ? 😇

(@linda)

Eminent Member

@elize I'm getting all kinds of bell notifications here. But I NEVER get bell notifications on the blog for some reason.

(@elize)

Trusted Member

Probably for the reasons Wolf stated in response to one of my posts.  ccp hasn't found us yet!  😋 

See his response for details.  😊 

(@wolfmoon1776)

@aubergine - yes - there is an "inner forum bell" at the top.  It's a bit different from the JetPack blogsite notifications bell.

(@valeriecurren)

@wolfmoon1776

Thanks for that extra info.  I found the orange bell at the top!  My "I'm an idiot" statement still stands!  🤣 

(@valeriecurren)

@aubergine  @wolfmoon1776

So far for me I don't get either likes or replies in the notifier.  How did you guys get it to work?

EDIT  I found the orange bell after seeing Wolf's reply to someone else...Thx!

(@singingsoul1)

I have a bell . I have to play around here to see how everything works.   🤔 

(@wolfmoon1776)

@singingsoul1_158613128_984325494 - good to see you got in!!!

(@elize)
Trusted Member

The other thing I esp like with forums is say that I remember bettylou-makebelieve responding to something I posted and I wanted to find that response again.  You look under your name and posts and can easily find it.  Or look under her name and her posts to find it.

3 Replies
(@linda)

Eminent Member

@elize Agreed. And with a forum, you can have threads that are topics. Such as, a thread on the COVID vaccines, a thread on voter fraud, a thread on what our real POTUS is doing, etc. And these can be added to indefinitely, so it is really easy to go back and find things.

(@elize)

Trusted Member

Exactly!

I'd love to have a meme forum cause some of our members post the most amazing memes!

(@linda)

Eminent Member
(@elize)
Trusted Member

This is just a personal preference, but I also love the stats on forums.  My husband and I have hobbies that utilize forums so we've been using them for decades and I like being able to see if someone is ol incase I want to send them a message.  It's much easier to look at the stats then scroll through pages of blog posts.

4 Replies
(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - yes - the "online stuff" is a nice feature, and it's out-of-the-box with the free forum plugin.

(@valeriecurren)

@elize

Would you mind elaborating a bit on how that works?  Thanks 🙂 

(@elize)

Trusted Member
Posted by: @valeriecurren

@elize

Would you mind elaborating a bit on how that works?  Thanks 🙂 

Testing out the quotes thing while on this forum setup.  It works!

Val if you're referencing the stats comment...you can see who's online, whos in which forums, recent posts, etc at various places depending on the forum software.  Ie on this page scroll down to the bottom to see it.

Usually when you log into a forum you can also see how many and/or whos in certain forums.

Imho this is nice for hot topic items.  Ie lets say theres a daily "news - crap hit the fan today" forum.  And you see a lot of people in "fan crap topic ABC" then you might decide to go there first to see whats up.

(@valeriecurren)

@elize

Thx much E for that info--Blessings!

(@evereleutheros)

I do like this forum idea. This is my test post and to say "hello"

2 Replies
(@elize)

Trusted Member
(@wolfmoon1776)

@evereleutheros - good to see you!

(@elize)
Trusted Member

Yeahhhh Val's back on!  And p.s. Wolf, think you'll get any sleep tonight?  😜 

I had to smh when i saw this emoji 😷 

Was that created for covid or as a hint to let others know it was time to put a sock in thy mouth!  🙄 

31 Replies
(@valeriecurren)

@elize

How do you know who's back on?  My idiocy isn't contagious, at least that we are aware of!

If it's at the bottom of the page, now that I scrolled there, then I accidentally found the clue...This is what I currently see there:

"

Currently viewing this topic 5 users ( Linda, Wolf Moon, Valerie Curren, para59r, Elize ) and 1 guest.

Recently viewed by users: evereleutheros 21 mins ago, Elizabeth Carter 23 mins ago, scott467 52 mins ago."

(@linda)

Eminent Member

@valeriecurren Look down at the bottom. It shows who is currently viewing this thread. And I'll have to look, but I think on the main page it will show at the bottom everyone who is online somewhere on the forum.

(@valeriecurren)

(@elize)

Trusted Member

You liked one of my comments so I knew you were on.

One of the reasons I stopped yapping on the daily was because of problems with WP.  My husband and I are both in IT and keep a very secure network, so WP probably didn't like that much.

(@valeriecurren)

@elize

Thx E.  Glad this format is working better for you!!!

(@elize)

Trusted Member

You are very welcome and its great to get to interact with folks again.

(@valeriecurren)

@elize

So you put the Social in Social Media...

I tend to put the anti-social in for some reason 🤪 

(@elize)

Trusted Member

I'm going to say this while I still can, before ccp runs me into silence again.

There's a reason why I continue to read the dailies on the blog even though I rarely post.  Everyone has unique and charming personality traits.  Some people make me lol with memes, others are great at finding odd articles of info, but in general it's a very warm loving group of people.  So I'm glad I got to show a bit of myself to everyone tonight and tell everyone how much I appreciate all they do to keep us informed.

It's like with the dailies, I think, oh its <insert>day of week so I get to read <insert>authors name today.

It's like a warm fireplace on a cold night.  😊 

(@valeriecurren)

@elize

Beautifully said!!!  I concur ❤️ 🌹 😍 😘 😍 🌹 ❤️ 

(@elize)

Trusted Member

Ty.  I didn't want to say names when I stated who has what traits I like but you are a pleasure to read! ❤️ 

(@valeriecurren)

@elize

Wow Elize thank you for that!  My standards for things I share are "slipping" in that I've shared things w/ more language & vulgarity that I've found on Twitter than I would ever self-generate.  I'm so pro-Free Speech that I hate to paraphrase other people's points to say the gist of what they are saying but in less pithy language or imagery.  It's a balancing act...trying to please God but not be off-putting & judgmental toward others w/ feet of clay (like we all have).

I love our little neighborhood & miss some of the more cantankerous voices who've wandered off the reservation of late...

It is a delight to see you sharing of yourself here in the forum this evening 🙂

God Bless you & yours.  I hope the evil CCP computer gremlins leave you alone now!!!

(@elize)

Trusted Member

Goodness, I'm blushing.  For an old lady that wears a sports bra and mens boxers on our acreage when gardening that's me admitting alot!

(@valeriecurren)

@elize

Now that's hilarious.  Cue somebody's WGTT's video then aged to have said bazonga's bouncing off the kneecaps or something--my mom is in her 80's & quite well-endowed w/ less elasticity than in younger days 🙂

🤣 😱 😳 😇 👍 🍒 😘 😊 ❤️ 

(@elize)

Trusted Member

@valeriecurren yes my husband seems to enjoy helping me with the gardening!  I'm 50, but that's twice as old as when I was 25, so I'm an old lady!

(@valeriecurren)

@elize

Well now I'm actually older than you are, but not necessarily wiser.  I refuse to call myself old though.  My husband's almost 3 years younger & he's prematurely gray so he always envisions himself w/ one foot in the grave & the other on a banana peel & I'm always like Nonsense--you'll Always be a Young Bronc to me!

(@elize)

Trusted Member

@valeriecurren My husband is 16 years younger and went bald shortly after I married him!  He was upset re the hair until I told him how hot bald men were!

(@valeriecurren)

@elize

& I get grief for robbing the cradle!  My daughter's fiance is balding, unlike the rest of the men in the extended family, so we're getting that trait added into the bloodline too.

Patrick Stewart/Jean-Luc Picard fan, hmmm?

I'm guessing your man may have a hard time keeping up with you!

(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - Amen! ❤️

(@valeriecurren)

@wolfmoon1776

was that for the sports bra & boxers comment???  😆 

(@wolfmoon1776)

@valeriecurren - SEE?  This forum style is already running into problems!

(@elize)

Trusted Member
(@valeriecurren)

@wolfmoon1776

"running" is code for sports bra--got it!  😀 
(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - Yeah, not so sure about sleep, but I should! 😉

(@valeriecurren)

@wolfmoon1776

Hard to sleep when there are new toys to play with!

(@elize)

Trusted Member

Exactly, I hope everyone finds some pleasure and benefit from it.  I think most will!

(@elize)

Trusted Member

I know right.  I have a project manager personality type and once I start on something I don't stop until it's complete.

(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - this is going to be a long job.  But I think the sooner we decide on a layout, the sooner I'll get a basic framework up and start creating subforums.

(@elize)

Trusted Member

Lol, sorry for chuckling, but just wait until you wake up to 10,000 notifications in the morning!  😳 

(@wolfmoon1776)

@elize - they're already exceeding my rate of response! 😉

(@elize)

Trusted Member
(@valeriecurren)

@elize

I have a stay-at-home-mom, rarely have a schedule, lack of accountability lifestyle that permits me, by the loving grace of God & my husband, to be pretty carefree w/ my time & attention.  I'm struggling to get our taxes off my back without the looming deadline "making" me get "motivated" (desperate) to get them done!

& sometimes OCD tendencies mean I've just got to "finish" whatever page I'm on at Q-tree or twitter or whatever so there is a degree of "closure" before stepping away.  Sleep exhaustion can also make me take a break...

(@valeriecurren)

😡 🤬 🤢 🤮 👎 💣 😱 😖 😫 🙄

Hopefully it precedes some type of beating someone up emoji!!!  I guess those above will have to do!

4 Replies
(@elize)

Trusted Member
(@valeriecurren)

Whoops, this reply was Supposed to be to Elize's masked emoji comment above.

Hey Wolf, if you want to try your admin/edit function maybe you could see if you could move the above comment under Elize's & see if her reply to me also automatically moves.  Alternatively, if I have that capacity to save you the trouble just point me in the right direction & I'll try to make those changes.  Thx!

(@wolfmoon1776)

@valeriecurren - no - can't find any way to move it.  I can delete it, but can't find a way to cut and paste it.

(@valeriecurren)

@wolfmoon1776

Ok, no prob.  I thought I saw some type of "merge" thread or something somewhere but it might not be applicable in this instance.  I thought it could be a safe learning curve for it would be no great loss if this mini convo disappeared in tweaking the forum adventures.

(@slowcreekno)

Now let me see how this works.  Lots of others here have posted so I'd expect the most elementary bugs have been fixed by now. 

Been out enjoying the spring weather for a few days, fixing things in the physical world so not so much online.  This whole corona-show is reaching higher levels of madness anyways. It is proceeding beyond what even Monty Python could contrive in their heyday.   Ah for the days that corona was just some safe and pleasant things: a variety of beer, a typewriter, a tabletop radio, a car of a certain model from Toyota, some kind of cigar, cone-shaped ice cream, a brand of strawberries... 

Meanwhile there is another round of wet and miserable being promised/threatened for later this week.

2 Replies
(@wolfmoon1776)

@slowcreekno - nice to see you got in!

(@slowcreekno)

(@bflyjesusgrl)
Honorable Member

8 Replies
(@wolfmoon1776)

@bflyjesusgrl - You're in - WITH ENOUGH TO SHARE.

I'll handle the RUNNING WITH SCISSORS. 😉

(@bflyjesusgrl)

Honorable Member

@wolfmoon1776

Running with Scissors?? 😱😱

Miss Wheatie's gonna get you! 😬😬😲😲

I'ma hide an watch. 😨🤪🤪🤭🧐🤓

(@wolfmoon1776)

@bflyjesusgrl - I had to let you out of moderation again - not sure what's up with that, but if you get locked out, we'll just have to keep beating on it.

(@soleroroberts8)

@wolfmoon1776

I'm in moderation ! yay ! just like the good old days over there.

(@wolfmoon1776)

@soleroroberts8 - OK - you're out now!!! 😀

(@soleroroberts8)

(@wheatietoo)

@wolfmoon1776

I'll handle the RUNNING WITH SCISSORS.

Stop that! You'll poke your eye out.

😬 😆 

(@wolfmoon1776)

(@wheatietoo)

Testing.

Wow, boss...you've done a lot of work since I was here last.

Thank you so much!

This is not important, just curious: There is an upper case 'P' down in the lower lefthand corner of this comment box.

Does anyone else have that too?

7 Replies
(@wolfmoon1776)

@wheatietoo - Yeah - the "P" is something that I may be able to get rid of - not sure - it may be listed somewhere and I can get rid of it - but if not, don't worry about it.

(@soleroroberts8)

@wolfmoon1776

where are the emojis ??

the little guy with his hands up ??

(@wolfmoon1776)

@soleroroberts8 - when you open up a reply, the toolbar is ABOVE the text entry area - the emojis are on the RIGHT END of that toolbar.

I can actually move the toolbar to the BOTTOM, to be consistent with the text entry widget on the blog.  I will probably do that later.

(@steveinco)

@wheatietoo  it appears that clicking on it highlights your text.

Why that is deemed useful is another matter entirely.

(@steveinco)

Oh, I get it.  It seems to tell you what tags are active.  When I quoted someone, it actually read something quite a bit more complex than "P"

(@bflyjesusgrl)

Honorable Member

@wheatietoo

I think it would be really cool if we had a collection, sort of one stop shop/thread/topic/dictionary, whatever it's called.....of all your words of the day, for when I need to review/remember/whip one out.  It might be a giant PITA, so I get if you can't or don't wanna, but it would be really cool. Did I say really really cool?!?? 🤗😘🥰😍💞💖❤❤❤

(@wolfmoon1776)

@bflyjesusgrl

Nice idea to make this stuff stick around in an easy-to-find area with some organization and searchability.

(@soleroroberts8)

this is a test...I'm not "registered" as a "member"...and I don't see WHERE to do that ??

anyway...

here's my topic..

article...

How The CIA Took Over U.S.Media

link...

https://www.technocracy.news/how-the-cia-took-over-u-s-media/

4/19

Eisenhower warned us about this...and now the endgame is at hand.

(gotta work on my spacing)

(@steveinco)

OK so where will this end up.

Edit:  It appears to be a top-level reply to this topic.  Cool.

(@singingsoul1)

I love that I can see who is on the thread. For the longest time I was on a Susan Boyle forum and liked it a lot. Just have to get used to this one.

Thank you Wolf for doing so much for for us and having surprises 😀 

Thank you for all who do so much work.

(@steveinco)

One thing I can't figure out is how to control what causes a notification.

Apparently it will separately list each like, and replies (because they usually have "@SteveInCO" in them (and that will probably trigger a notification)).

I would like to be notified about replies (because they might call for a response), but being notified of every single like is just...pointless.

22 Replies
(@bflyjesusgrl)

Honorable Member

@steveinco

And how to clear the notifications???  

I currently have a 34 count. The only way to reduce is click on every like or reply.😱😱😱 

(@steveinco)

(@bflyjesusgrl)

Honorable Member
(@valeriecurren)

@bflyjesusgrl

I just scan over the "likes" & click on the replies, which then makes them disappear.  When only likes remain than I choose "clear all" which works so far for me 😊 

(@wolfmoon1776)

@steveinco - yeah, I don't know if the add-ons for this software offer nicer notifications or not.  I need to dig into that stuff soon.

How do you feel about the toolbar above the text entry?  That's the default.  I could move it to the bottom to be consistent with the blog comments, but maybe having that default difference will help people remember they're on the forum and not on the blog per se.

(@wolfmoon1776)

@steveinco - Yeah, I can't find anything to get rid of likes.  Errrrr - actually, I can get rid of likes, but I can't get rid of them from notifications.

(@steveinco)

@wolfmoon1776

It is also sending me a damned e-mail every time someone replies to me.

If that cannot be fixed I WILL NOT use this forum.

(@bflyjesusgrl)

Honorable Member

@steveinco

At the top left is 'Subscribe for new replies', make sure you UNSUBSCRIBE!!

(@wolfmoon1776)

@bflyjesusgrl - I think we are unsubscribed by default, but I'll recheck that!

(@wolfmoon1776)

Posted by: @steveinco

@wolfmoon1776

It is also sending me a damned e-mail every time someone replies to me.

If that cannot be fixed I WILL NOT use this forum.

This is a test of using QUOTING in the threaded format!

(@steveinco)

@wolfmoon1776

well, I got an email when you posted this.

Seriously, if that cannot be shut off, I won't use the forum.  And no I didn't subscribe to the topic, it was for being "mentioned" not being replied to.

(@wolfmoon1776)

@steveinco - Steve - I get ZERO emails from this place.  ZERO.  Thus, I have two suggestions:

(1) Turn off emails for this site at the WORDPRESS level.  There are 3 or 4 places you have to do that - different profiles - Reader - your WordPress account - "My Sites", and your WordPress settings in the sidebar.

(2)  I went up to the top of this thread in particular and SUBSCRIBED and then UNSUBSCRIBED.

I think there has to be a way to shut off emails.  I seem to have found it, somehow.

(@steveinco)

@wolfmoon1776

Going through my profile, I have NO emails selected except from my blog (I'd probably want to know if someone actually did something there).

(@wolfmoon1776)

@steveinco  - This looks useful:

1. Black bar
  2. Reader
  3. Followed sites
  4. Manage button
  5. Turn off email notification of comments for each site
(@steveinco)

@wolfmoon1776

The only site listed in my followed sites is Marica's, which I unfollowed.

I am not subscribed to this topic.

(@wolfmoon1776)

@steveinco - OK.  Next step is to turn off all discussion emails.

You need to go to the black bar when logged into this site.  Left end.

1. My Sites
  2. Dashboard (at bottom) (gets black dashboard on left)
  3. Settings
  4. Discussion (under settings)
  5. Email me whenever (all 4 should be unchecked)
(@steveinco)

@wolfmoon1776

When I click on "My Sites" I get a light blue fly-in menu from the left.  There's no option on it for dashboard.

The options are Manage, sub options Site Pages and Blog Posts.

(@wolfmoon1776)

@steveinco  - OK - next step is to go through your profile.

(@wolfmoon1776)

@steveinco

This is a test of a heading

(@wolfmoon1776)

(@wolfmoon1776)

This used the {;} (source code) option with HTML.  It showed the subscript in the window AND after submitting the contents.

(@valeriecurren)

@wolfmoon1776

How did you get that subscript to work?

Share: