Clear all

How Simple is Simple?

47 Posts
8 Users
88 Likes
Admin
Topic starter
(@wolfmoon1776)

Is it REALLY simple?  Or just KINDA simple?  We simply must know!  Please respond.  As simply or as unsimply as you wish.

46 Replies
Admin
Topic starter
(@wolfmoon1776)

OK.  This seems like an easy reply.

8 Replies
(@aubergine)

@wolfmoon1776 Again, I guess I am not very "forum-savvy."

What is the utility of this? Is it so that we all talk about the same topic in one place? Special interests? So if I'm not interested in "The Sopranos" I just don't go there?

I like reading all the comments about various things in one place. It's interesting to me that way. This may split us all up into groups.

But don't pay me too much attention; I hate change.

(@linda)

Eminent Member

@aubergine I don't find that to be true in the forums I've frequented. Most people seem to be interested in many different topics, so they visit all of those threads to find out the latest information or add what they've found. And it really makes it easy if you want to find something you saw posted. You just look in the thread on that topic. I think the value of our blog daily thread is we seem to get all the news of the day in one place. I find I stay up to date on most of the news just from the daily thread. But it is harder to go back and find something. I see value in both formats.

(@elize)

Trusted Member

Completely agree.  And as someone who has to deal with migraines, reading the lengthy (no offense) daily threads is hard on me.  So I miss a lot when I have bad (migraine) days.

(@aubergine)

@linda Yes, I find the "news of the day" all in one place valuable. I won't be spending too much time on the forum. I just don't have the time for it. Too busy for so many topics.

(@wolfmoon1776)

Posted by: @aubergine

@linda Yes, I find the "news of the day" all in one place valuable. I won't be spending too much time on the forum. I just don't have the time for it. Too busy for so many topics.

I'm hoping the forum might add some needed diversity and maybe we can use it to attract some more people.  Or, at the very least, it can become a kind of repository and wiki.

(@wolfmoon1776)

What is the utility of this? Is it so that we all talk about the same topic in one place? Special interests? So if I'm not interested in "The Sopranos" I just don't go there?

I like reading all the comments about various things in one place. It's interesting to me that way. This may split us all up into groups.

One thing I want to do is "bring the U Tree conversation onto OUR site".  I'm going to leave up the U Tree as a kind of lifeboat if THIS whole site is nuked or lost, but I'd like to have a place where we can have REAL free speech, with varying grades of civility required.  Forums offer that possibility.  They're very easy to reconfigure.

Also, I want a place to "store stuff".  Also, I want to let other people start topics easily - to get more interaction, and maybe more people commenting.  Forums attract more posters than blog sites, in my experience.  I think they create more opportunities for conversational interests to change, too.

I want to help the free speech movement be as FREE as I can help make it.

(@valeriecurren)

Posted by: @wolfmoon1776

One thing I want to do is "bring the U Tree conversation onto OUR site".  I'm going to leave up the U Tree as a kind of lifeboat if THIS whole site is nuked or lost, but I'd like to have a place where we can have REAL free speech, with varying grades of civility required.  Forums offer that possibility.  They're very easy to reconfigure.

Also, I want a place to "store stuff".  Also, I want to let other people start topics easily - to get more interaction, and maybe more people commenting.  Forums attract more posters than blog sites, in my experience.  I think they create more opportunities for conversational interests to change, too.

I want to help the free speech movement be as FREE as I can help make it.

It's a bit clunky to use the orange bell, to me, so there is a learning curve.  Like when you went to the new Q-Tree site we lost most "likes" in the bell & replies if we didn't specify "notify of replies" so that functionality was traded off for editing & more formatting choices in the text box, like here too.  It seems losing the black band bell capability here will be slightly less useful, though getting to "see" likes again can be nice...no real opinion just sharing some +/- here

(@valeriecurren)

Oh I only tried to only partially "quote" what I was replying to but it included everything, which is slightly less helpful & more labor intensive for reading along purposes...

(@linda)
Eminent Member

Wolf, this seems to be the format that I'm most used to seeing in other forums. Each reply goes to the bottom of the thread, rather than under the person you're replying to. But you can always use the quote feature to add context to what you're replying to.

5 Replies
(@wolfmoon1776)

Posted by: @linda

Wolf, this seems to be the format that I'm most used to seeing in other forums. Each reply goes to the bottom of the thread, rather than under the person you're replying to. But you can always use the quote feature to add context to what you're replying to.

Great point!  I'll try the quote right now.....

(@elize)

Trusted Member

Great point!  I'll try the quote right now.....

Great job!  It is a great feature.

(@elize)

Trusted Member

Please don't take offense Linda, I like to joke a lot...

Ummm, Wolf, I think Linda and I may be your resident forum addicts!  😎 

(@linda)

Eminent Member
Posted by: @elize

Please don't take offense Linda, I like to joke a lot...

Ummm, Wolf, I think Linda and I may be your resident forum addicts!  😎 

No offense taken! 😀 I do like forums. They allow a lot more discussion on specific topics then we seem to get in a blog. In a blog, by the time you're on the second page, people don't go back to the first page to continue the discussion. On a forum with a thread around a topic, you can go on for years - and I've seen that happen frequently.

(@wolfmoon1776)

@linda - you will be happy to know that I am one of the least offended admins EVER when it comes to "necroposting", replying to spam, talking back to bots, etc.  I simply do not care about thread age.

(@elize)
Trusted Member

As far as the simple format.  I think CTH may have actually been the first blog I was ever a part of so my only blog experience is it, Wolfs and Maricas.

With forums I've dealt with several formats.  I personally prefer the other one you set up.  I like seeing responses under the OP'rs post.  And many people forget, don't know or don't use the quote feature when you use the format you have set up in this forum.  It can get very confusing for some folks and I've seen bitch fights break out over people thinking you're responding to them.

Just my 2 cents.  😊 

9 Replies
(@wolfmoon1776)

As far as the simple format.  I think CTH may have actually been the first blog I was ever a part of so my only blog experience is it, Wolfs and Maricas.

With forums I've dealt with several formats.  I personally prefer the other one you set up.  I like seeing responses under the OP'rs post.  And many people forget, don't know or don't use the quote feature when you use the format you have set up in this forum.  It can get very confusing for some folks and I've seen bitch fights break out over people thinking you're responding to them.

Just my 2 cents.  😊 

I know this would be an added complication, but we could actually do part of the forum as linear with quoting, and part of it as nested responses.  This software has a LOT of possibility, and layer on top of that, the fact that it allows one to actually do different parallel forums with different choices.

(@elize)

Trusted Member

Just my 2 cents.  😊 

I know this would be an added complication, but we could actually do part of the forum as linear with quoting, and part of it as nested responses.  This software has a LOT of possibility, and layer on top of that, the fact that it allows one to actually do different parallel forums with different choices.

Does the OP of a thread determine the layout?  Can each forum/subforum layout be set up individually?

Ie I can see Author A vs Author B preferring and choosing different layouts for their topics once they get familiar with the software which would be great.

(@wolfmoon1776)

Just my 2 cents.  😊 

Does the OP of a thread determine the layout?  Can each forum/subforum layout be set up individually?

Ie I can see Author A vs Author B preferring and choosing different layouts for their topics once they get familiar with the software which would be great.

Sadly, layouts are pretty much FORUM-WIDE.  That is why I have FOUR TEST FORUMS.

Now, we could keep multiple forums, but there are downsides to that, too.

(@elize)

Trusted Member

Just my 2 cents.  😊 

Sadly, layouts are pretty much FORUM-WIDE.  That is why I have FOUR TEST FORUMS.

Now, we could keep multiple forums, but there are downsides to that, too.

Ty for the update!  I already messed up posting on this forum layout, ooops!

(@valeriecurren)

@wolfmoon1776

Does that mean the individual Viewer can Choose which format to experience the forum in?

(@wolfmoon1776)

@valeriecurren - I wish, but no - they have to use whatever the forum uses.

(@barkerjim)

Just my 2 cents.  😊 

And the quote function actually allows replies to be applied in a linear fashion to what you are replying to. In one blog I read, the author always states "If you are commenting please quote the exact words you are discussing, so we can all be clear on exactly what you are referring to"

Don't know how many times the quote function can be invoked.

(@valeriecurren)

@elize

I do like the threaded comments & the ability to open/close or see/hide them.  I'm using likes right now to keep track of what I've read but eventually want to be slightly more judicious w/ the like button.

Once a conversation starts getting convoluted just dropping the latest response to the bottom might get confusing.  The blog threads the comments/replies a bit so that helps to make sense of things for me there too...

(@elize)

Trusted Member
Posted by: @valeriecurren

@elize

I do like the threaded comments & the ability to open/close or see/hide them.  I'm using likes right now to keep track of what I've read but eventually want to be slightly more judicious w/ the like button.

Once a conversation starts getting convoluted just dropping the latest response to the bottom might get confusing.  The blog threads the comments/replies a bit so that helps to make sense of things for me there too...

I'll be the first to admit I'm glad I'm not the one who to do the admin work!!!!

(@gudthots)

Hello, still on a bit of a break, but yes,
Simple looks very nice and has a familiar feel to it.

“Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?” The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.    --  1 Corinthians 15:55-57

2 Replies
(@elize)

Trusted Member

halos and beautiful!

(@elize)

Trusted Member
Posted by: @gudthots

Hello, still on a bit of a break, but yes,
Simple looks very nice and has a familiar feel to it.

“Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?” The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.    --  1 Corinthians 15:55-57

Sorry the format is still throwing me off.  The beautiful response was to your post!

(@valeriecurren)

Just so you know I could click on Edit on your opening comment & could have changed something there.  That might not be a good thing to have unless you Want moderators to be able to edit the Admin!!!

8 Replies
(@wolfmoon1776)

@valeriecurren - yeah, I'll have to look into that.  The problem is that mods generally can edit mods.  That is pretty much a forum normality.

(@valeriecurren)

@valeriecurren - yeah, I'll have to look into that.  The problem is that mods generally can edit mods.  That is pretty much a forum normality.

OK, that's good to know.  I personally don't intend to Edit ANYone else's work unless they specifically request such help for some reason!

(@wolfmoon1776)

@valeriecurren - yes - editing other people's posts is pretty much a last resort, and I personally expect to be notified if it EVER happens.  I prefer all evidence be left in place.

UNAPPROVING a comment is much easier and safer.

(@valeriecurren)

@wolfmoon1776

Often I'll even add "edit" when changing my own comments 🙂 Just to be safe...

(@wolfmoon1776)

@valeriecurren - actually, I just took away this ability, since mods can simply "unapprove" a reply or topic instead of editing or deleting!

(@valeriecurren)

@wolfmoon1776

Does "unapprove" hide but not delete comments?  I don't want to try it, unless on myself, to check how it Might work & mess something up.

(@wolfmoon1776)

Posted by: @valeriecurren

@wolfmoon1776

Does "unapprove" hide but not delete comments?  I don't want to try it, unless on myself, to check how it Might work & mess something up.

Yes!  Unapprove hides the comment, but does not delete it.  It basically goes into moderation, where I can either kill it, edit it, put it back, etc.  It's a very safe option for moderators.  So if some nasty rasty porn image appears, you just zap the post into Wolf Land with unapprove, and he will park it in the EVIDENCE LOCKER.

(@valeriecurren)

@wolfmoon1776

So basically use our discretion if we see something potentially problematic & it kicks it into your court for you to decide?  That sounds like a great compromise scenario!

(@elize)
Trusted Member

And boy can these quotes of quotes get long and space consuming. 😰 

(@barkerjim)

I think I like this the best, but only works with simple topics. With the quote function at least someone might know what my comment was related to.

(@steveinco)

Would there be a way to disable "reply" and force people to quote?

(That is, when actually replying to someone, as opposed to a top-level comment like this one.)

1 Reply
(@wolfmoon1776)

Posted by: @steveinco

Would there be a way to disable "reply" and force people to quote?

(That is, when actually replying to someone, as opposed to a top-level comment like this one.)

Dang - I just hit "reply" to this, and realized how worthless "reply" actually is.

Not sure I can remove vanilla reply, but will keep this tactic in mind and consider it if I find it.

(@steveinco)

I admit I don't see a real distinction between this one and the other "flat" style (where all replies go to the bottom).

4 Replies
(@wolfmoon1776)

I admit I don't see a real distinction between this one and the other "flat" style (where all replies go to the bottom).

Yeah, I think this one just may be shorter and leaner on the user garnish to the left of the replies.

(@valeriecurren)

Yeah, I think this one just may be shorter and leaner on the user garnish to the left of the replies.

I think thus far it's a bit easier to follow the gist of a conversation w/ the more threaded style

(@wolfmoon1776)

Something that bugs me is that I can actually reply to a "reply", and it is NOT removed from my list of notifications.  The notifications are just WEAK, unless they get spiced up by an add-on.

(@wolfmoon1776)

@steveinco - testing to see if you get an email about this one (Test 5).

Share: